In a word, yes. You should give it an honest shot. It really is a great OS. Very very fast, somewhat easy to use, stable as all hell. But a bit odd at times. Seems like they need a UX service pack or something. Perhaps the RTM will get rid of some of the concerns.
How about that Tegra 3 image? Damn the wait!
So far, I’m digging Windows 8 Release Preview though. Here are some annoyances I’ve encountered:
- Apps from the Store may suddenly become uninstallable for no good reason (this happened on two machines – one is my four year olds and the other mine)
- Asus Xonar sound cards… Good luck with drivers. Neither the UniXonar or any official Asus drivers have worked in my attemtps. At least not after the first reboot. Also the “class installer” has refused to install blah blah error seems to appear regardless after the first install – if you try to reinstall the drivers
- Upgrading from Windows 7 may or may not cause random complete hang or other undesirable affects
- Using Microsoft provided WDM drivers with an Nvidia (ie GTX 670 or dual GTX 560 TIs) GPU and Intel (Sandy Bridge) integrated graphics for tri monitor support can lead to all black backgrounds in RT apps. The fix here seems to be a reinstall of the Nvidia drivers. This happened to me once or twice after enabling Nvidia 3D Vision as well as after upgrading to newer versions of Nvidia drivers
Also a couple of usability oddities:
- Scrolling with one finger or the mouse wheel does nothing in the start menu
- Navigation with the keyboard in the start menu is a bit odd
- Search is by no means complete for a gmail account with some 60k messages; if I am searching gmail – I goto gmail
- Searching as a whole is a bit difficult to access, would much prefer a persistent search box and more intuitive way to display results from wherever I may be in the search menu or an app. Why go to a separate page altogether?
And finally some very important questions.
- Why is it so damn easy to pull up the start menu and so damn difficult to exit it? Should be windows button to open, windows button to close period.
- Why is it so difficult to customize a tile? Why don’t normal apps use a big icon and small text if need? Why can I not see the full contents of a particular app’s tile by hovering? Again why can’t I customize a damn tile!!!?
- Why is it so annoying to move tiles around? Can’t I have some mass tile selection mode by right clicking and then left click holding? With alot of apps, its sort of unmanageable
- Why can’t I browse files — not pictures — FILES using the metro file browser?
- Why do I have to have the annoyance of User fucking account control (pardon the language but this one really burns my arse) and the incompatibilities associated with it just to run freaking metro apps?
- Why do I have to call it something other than metro after so long? Didn’t someone do their research?
- Why was it “metro” in the first place? That always makes me think of a someone shopping at the gap or banana republic…
- Why is the music app such a piece of shit? I only have 6k songs. That’s really not many at all.
- Why does the piece of shit music app – and any other “metro” music playing app semi mute when I go back to the desktop? Why is there no option to disable this? Sure you could’ve just made it an unintended value added side effect of switching auto volume lowering during communication…
- Why does it take an hour even with 50 mbps down to “enable” .net 3.5 features?
- Why does IE metro have NO MENU?!!?!? Really. Hiding it is one thing but that thing doesn’t have a menu at all. No history, no recently closed tabs. I’d almost switch
- Why do the IE dev tools still not allow me to change numeric values (say for size on a particular css property) with the arrow keys? Or navigate with the damn tab key. Its probably the only reason I don’t use the piece.
- Why don’t you integrate with GOOGLE TALK!!!
- Why do I click on a live tile because I see something interesting only to be taken to the home view of that particular tile. Don’t you know anything about click intention?
- Why did I seriously just type this many questions… Uhoh…