I’m starting small with this post. I’ll take feedback and check out alternatives but here are some pieces I find absolutely essential in writing code on Windows, especially where Android is concerned:
- C#. Java and Objective C are both garbage collected by delegates, dynamics, lambda and linq expressions. Not to mention WCF, WPF, ASP .Net’s MVC, the entity framework, etc
- Windows - because your computer is simply not a toaster.
- Bluestacks – because no matter how you handle it the emulator is slow
- Xamarian’s Mono for Android
- Nvidia’s Fx Composer for GL shaders (and their development environment)
- Desura and Steam – cause you have to have some fun every now and then
- The best text editor ever: Sublime Text 2
- The best code comparison utility ever: DevArt Code Compare – because it compares code, not text
- The best code editor ever: Visual Studio 2010 and 11
- The second best: MonoDevelop, buggy as it may be
- The best hex editor ever: HxD
- The best developer tools ever: Anything by Telerik
- The best performance tracing application for .Net: Telerik’s JustTrace
and ignore nosql for games, unless you are talking about a backbone for your backbone.