*updated 09/22/2011 – recently moved to a faster server… still not very fast – regardless – the download link has been updated*
This post will provide you with instructions to make NVIDIA 3DTV Play work on unsupported but capable HDMI 1.4 3DTVs. It was setup and tested on a Samsung PN50C8000.
New technologies come out all the time. Some lame, some great. NVIDIA 3D VISION was one such of the latter and I grabbed mine the day it released. About a year later, I bought a 3dtv: choosing Samsung Plasma as they seem a good deal more responsive and the price is great. The day I bought it, I attempted to figure out a way to use the NVIDIA 3D VISION emitter and glasses for 3D gaming with absolutely no luck whatsoever. I tried iZ3D also, with the only result being an increasing level of frustration…
More relevant background
Soon after, I saw a press release from NVIDIA describing a new software application that allows the use of HDMI 1.4 3D via the NVIDIA card and TVs built in emitter/glasses. I was excited to say the least but noticed no release date.
Just recently, new forceware was released that includes the NVIDIA 3DTV Play software. If you haven’t downloaded the latest update, scroll to the bottom of this post and follow the link or go to nvidia.com and do so.
Where the magic happens (solution)
- Supported NVIDIA video card
- Latest forceware driver release
- HDMI 1.4 3DTV (if its an unsuppored model, read the rest of this post otherwise will work out of the box)
- 3D VISION usb emitter (only for licensing – not actually used)
- You may need to disable driver signature enforcment if you are using Windows Vista/7 x64 (someone please confirm this)
Once you’ve confirmed the above, you are either in business or annoyed at NVIDIA’s lack of support for your potentially superior 3DTV. Me being the latter and kindof a nut for having things work the way I want I used a modified EDID to override that provided by my TV and trick the NVIDIA driver into working. My time here is thin, as I just wasted a bunch of it to set this up. Thus, I will go into no detail on how I did it but links exist below that may allow you to obtain that information yourself.
Steps to make it work
- Download the inf here (I’m not messing with sound here – leave that to you or a helpful commenter though I have all standard resolutions and refresh rates marked as 3d compatiable in the attached)
- Install the latest forceware driver
- Install the latest 3D VISION usb emitter driver
- Plug in your usb emitter and confirm the recognition of the device and associated drivers
- Open the device manager
- Expand the Computer and then Monitors nodes
- Find your TV (most likely Generic PNP Monitor), right click, and select Update Driver Software
- Click Browse my computer for driver software
- Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
- Click have disk…
- Browse to the location of the inf downloaded in step 1, select it, click Open, and click OK
- If multiple models appear, select Generic for the manufacturer and then select NVIDIA Unsupported 3DTV (EDID Override)
- Click Next, wait for the installation to complete
- Reboot (and get excited)
Upon rebooting you should be able to open the NVIDIA Control Panel and follow the standard procedure to enable 3D VISION, but in this case it should be listed as NVIDIA 3DTV Play. Once you’ve configured it, set the resolution and refresh rate to either 1920×1080@24hz or 1280×720@60hz (and please let me know if you can get it to work for 1920×1080@60hz). In game, you should be able to activate 3D VISION using the hotkey you configured and drool at the 3D goodness.
- NVIDIA 3DTV EDID Override
- 3DTV Play Details
- Supported NVIDIA 3DTV PLAY models follow this guide if yours is not on the list
- NVIDIA Driver downloads (usb/forceware)
Tools and Resources
- We Develop Software LLC, the best custom development firm period
- Extron EDID Manager
- EDID Editor
- Wikipedia: Extended display identification data (EDID)
Thanks to those above in the tools section for providing me with information. I am not responsible for any damage this causes or you cause doing it obviously.
Please post comments if it works for you, and donate if you feel generous.
Thanks for reading!